New Jersey Child Support Statute

Individuals that pay or receive child support need to stay up-to-date with support laws and statutes. One of the best ways to stay informed is to contact a Cherry Hill divorce lawyer. We will keep you informed of any changes in New Jersey child support laws.

The Termination of Obligation to pay Child Support, N.J.S.A  declares the age of 19 to be the legal cutoff age for support unless parents have worked out another agreement where the cutoff age would be 23.

Many parents wonder about child support age limits as it is important to note that age limits vary by state. Parents can also work out special terms that extend or limit child support based on several factors. A child with special needs, enrolling in college can have their support extended or terminated.

States base the support termination age on the age of majority, when a child is no longer considered a minor and is now an adult. People believe the age of adulthood is 18, but that is not the age of majority for every state. In New Jersey, the age is 19.

When a New Jersey child reaches the age of majority, the support order is immediately null and void. Typically, termination takes effect on the child’s birthday. or guardians must draft an amended agreement before the child’s 19 birthday to ensure continued support.

Special Needs

The statute offers protections for children with disabilities or special needs. Under Section E, parties can draft a financial agreement that takes effect after the support order ends. The difference between the support order and the agreement lies within the courts. New Jersey child support courts will not be responsible for the enforcement of the agreement or payment collection as everything is left up to the parties.

Children with special needs have additional care costs figured into their support order. Once that ceases, both parties may require help determining the amount each side needs to contribute. Now that the child is an adult, they may be eligible for an individual insurance plan. This can alter the conditions of a financial agreement and a New Jersey divorce lawyer will help work out the details.


If a child enrolls in college before turning 19, the child support order remains in effect. Typically, the custodial parent submits a college expense support application to the courts and the courts take the parent’s income history and any financial aid or scholarships into account.

Once officials have reviewed all relevant information, they decide in the best interest of the child. Courts can decide to increase or decrease support based on several factors, such as the child’s living arrangement, as courts may reduce the order if the child lives on campus.

Cherry Hill Divorce Lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein Help Clients with Child Support Orders

We help clients draft a child support agreement. If you need help understanding the statute and drafting an order, call us today at (856) 544-9155 or contact us online.

Domestic Violence an Issue Across All Social Classes

Domestic Violence is a serious concern in the U.S. Although some people mistakenly believe domestic violence only affects women in impoverished and minority communities, nothing could be further from the truth. Domestic violence impacts men and women of every race and socio-economic standing. In fact, among the more affluent, violent home situations are often worsened because of the higher economic situation. Further, the issue can become more complicated for victims in affluent neighborhoods for a number of reasons.

Facts and Misconceptions About Domestic Violence

One of the largest misconceptions about domestic violence is that it only affects persons living in poverty. Part of the reason for this misconception is that research is limited according to the data collected. Because many victims who live in affluent neighborhoods fear the social ramifications to making the situation known, silence becomes a barrier to receiving help. It also becomes a barrier to researchers learning the facts.

Often, a victim of an abusive relationship is virtually trapped by the affluent partner, who is most frequently male. The abuser holds the purse strings and the victim has little in the way of resources. The victim knows that if they phone the police for help, several things will happen. First, the neighbors will know and often, the victim will be shunned in the community. If the victim decides to seek a divorce, she or he will have to find a way, with little to no income, to survive.

Is Domestic Violence More Common in Affluent Neighborhoods?

Along with other underlying factors, the stress associated with maintaining a higher standard of living can trigger an abusive relationship. Yet, it is not that affluence creates stress, but economic uncertainty associated with a volatile market that triggers dangerous stressors. Again however, little is yet known because those living in affluent neighborhoods tend to remain silent.

Finally, another element that plays into the issue is the nature of the properties in which the affluent live. Homes are larger and there is often more space between properties. In such a situation, an abuser can be as loud as he wants and the victims can scream or cry, but neighbors do not hear. Thus, phone calls are not made to authorities in such surroundings as they are in physically closer communities. This physical element may be another key factor explaining why there is less data related to in-home violence and abuse in affluent communities.

Cherry Hill Divorce Lawyers at Richard C. Klein, P.A. Help Victims Escape Domestic Violence

Domestic violence does not discriminate, but victims are not without help. The at understand that abuse can strike anyone at any time. We also understand that when a person lives in an affluent neighborhood, discretion is a must. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence and needs help escaping a bad relationship, we can help. Our caring and compassionate attorneys will meet with you in confidence and help plan an exit strategy that will both ensure your safety and your dignity. Whether you live in Cherry Hill, Camden County, Burlington County, or Atlantic County, New Jersey, or call now 856-544-9155.

Electronic Privacy During Divorce or Separation

As Americans, our online and offline lives are almost always intertwined, affecting the way we live, work and communicate. Yet for all of the positive ways digital technology has changed our lives, it can create a host of challenges in regards to privacy, especially for individuals going through or contemplating a divorce or separation. Whether warranted or not, spousal spying can lead to major issues, so it is best to be proactive in regards to your electronic privacy. The following are some steps you can take now to protect yourself from unwanted snooping by your spouse.

Change Your Passwords

A recent survey revealed that 67 percent of couples share a least one online account password. While this can be a convenience when things are going well, it is not a good idea when divorce is on the horizon. Allowing your spouse access to your email, social media accounts, and bank account information can expose you to the chance that they will hijack your account, make unauthorized changes, or collect potentially damaging information to use against you in court or at the settlement table. Digital evidence can be very compelling in divorce court, so it is best to cut off access now rather than face the consequences later.

Disable Automatic Logins

If you and your spouse are still living together and share a home computer, there are a number of things you can do to protect your personal information from prying eyes. First, go to your browser settings and delete saved passwords and disable the autofill function. Many popular sites will keep users perpetually logged in as a convenience, but if you forget to log out each time, anyone who uses the computer can easily access your accounts. Another option is to regularly use private browsing, which will not appear in your browsing history, cache pages or store cookies. You can also set your browser to delete your history at regular intervals, such as once a week or once a day.

Secure Wireless Devices

Roughly three-quarters of Americans today own a smart phone, allowing us to be constantly connected to our work lives, social spheres and financial information. Your smart phone or tablet can be a veritable treasure trove of information you may not want your spouse to know or use against you in your divorce proceedings. Secure all of your wireless devices with a pin or password and turn off your location services.

Cut Off Shared Services

Many couples share access to online services like Netflix, Amazon or Apple iCloud. While seemingly innocuous, these services can provide potentially damaging information such as browsing and purchase history, credit card and bank information, photos and even your physical location. Protect your privacy by canceling these services and re-establishing them in your own name.


Use Caution with Social Media

Remember that anything you post online is there to stay forever and you have far less control over who can see your social media profiles than you probably think. No matter what your privacy settings are, if it is not something you would want the world to see, it is best not to post it. Divorce and separation are tough enough without the added stress that social media can create. It is usually advisable to disable your social media accounts for a time and wait for the dust to settle on your divorce. At the very least, update your privacy settings to share with only the people you truly can trust.


Marlton Divorce Lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein Protect Individuals from Unlawful Spousal Spying

Federal and state laws prohibit certain types of electronic spying. That being said, some of the laws can be vague or interpreted differently when it comes to married couples. If you believe your spouse may be spying on you, or if you would like more information about how to protect your online privacy during a divorce or separation, attorneys at the can help. Call 856-544-9155 today to arrange an initial consultation with a qualified or ask us a question by contacting us online.

Relocating Children After Divorce

After a divorce, it is nearly always in a child’s best interest to maintain a consistent relationship with both of their parents. This is why parenting plans are created – to ensure that the child maintains a quality, consistent relationship with each parent in the years following their divorce.

When a job opportunity, family needs, or personal or economic circumstances make moving out of New Jersey an attractive option for a parent, they have to consider how moving would impact their child’s custody arrangement. Beyond this, they must obtain the other parent’s approval or permission from the court to move, which necessitates altering their custody order. Each state governs this process in its child custody law. In New Jersey, how a parent can obtain permission to move out of state with their child recently changed.

Determining the Child’s Best Interest

Previously, courts had to determine whether a proposed move would cause harm to a child when deciding whether to grant permission for the move. Though the child’s interests were considered, the largest part of the equation was whether moving would harm them in a substantial way. This was because when the law was initially written, the prevailing presumption was that a child would be happiest in the setting where their custodial parent was happiest. Research from recent decades shows that this is not actually the case, that a child is happiest and healthiest when they have a consistent relationship with both of their parents.

To determine the child’s best interest, the court considers the following:

  • The child’s medical needs
  • The child’s academic needs
  • The child’s relationship with each parent and the other members of their households
  • Any history of domestic violence in either parent’s household
  • The parents’ willingness to communicate and cooperate with each other regarding the child’s care
  • Each parent’s income and ability to support the child financially
The Burden of Proof is on the Parent Seeking the Move

New Jersey parents seeking court approval to move with their children must demonstrate how the move would be in their children’s best interest. If a parent cannot do this, they likely will not have their move approved. Supporting a claim that moving is in a child’s best interest can require a parent to provide documents that illustrate their position, such as a job offer in the proposed new location or a copy of a protective order showing that the move is to escape domestic violence in New Jersey. The parent may also be required to provide a proposed new custody plan and discuss how they plan to implement it if permission to move is granted.

Cherry Hill Child Custody Lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein, P.A. Guide Clients Through the Legal Aspects of Divorce and Life Afterward

Parenting after a divorce is not always easy. When issues like relocations and making necessary changes to your custody order arise, it is in your best interest to work with an experienced who can represent you in court and act as your advocate. To learn more, complete our or call 856-544-9155 to schedule your initial consultation at the We are located in Marlton, New Jersey, and work with clients from Mount Laurel, Moorestown, Cherry Hill, Maple Shade, and Marlton.

Will I Have to Sell My Home?

When couples divorce, many important questions arise. Where the parties will live after the divorce is finalized is one of the main issues. But then the question of who is entitled to keep the home inevitably arises.

How the property is divided can depend on the law in the state and also the behavior of the parties. New Jersey divorce law provides for equitable distribution of marital assets. This means the court will order the couple’s assets and debts be divided fairly, though this does not always mean the assets will divided equally.

When deciding which spouse will stay in the home, the courts will consider whether there are children involved and which parent will retain primary custody of the children. The court may also look at whether the home was bought by one of the parties prior to the marriage or if it was purchased together. Other issues to take into account are the value of the home and which party is more likely to be able to afford to stay in the home going forward.

In some instances, one spouse will buy-out the other. Alternatively, one party will live in the home for a specified amount of time and then sell the property and divide the profits. If the parties cannot decide, a judge could decide that the house be placed on the market immediately. On the other hand, if the parties agree on which person should remain with the home, the other party could be awarded other possessions of value or alimony to offset any inequities. Other issues that typically arise are removing one party’s name from the mortgage if they will not be contributing to monthly payments.

If a judge decides your case, he or she will most times award the home to the party who will be the primary caretaker of minor children. The purpose is usually to provide stability for the children and to keep them in the same schools while parents are divorcing. Some parents have chosen to keep the children in the home and instead of the children going from home to home, the parents will rotate in and out of the home on a weekly basis. This set up requires much coordination on the parents’ part, but it can be arranged and will likely only be successful if there was a stable home for the children prior to the divorce. This is an unusual solution, but when parties work together, many different solutions can be possible and it is not always necessary to sell a martial home immediately as the divorce is occurring.

Cherry Hill Divorce Lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein, LLC Advise Clients on Dividing the Marital Home

If you are considering divorce and the idea of splitting up your major assets is a major concern, the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein can advise you on potential solutions. We serve clients throughout South Jersey, including those in Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Mount Laurel and Marlton. Contact us online or call 856-544-9155 to arrange a consultation today to explore your options.