Cherry Hill Divorce Lawyer
Cherry Hill family lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein assist New Jersey residents in all aspects of family law, including:
- Adoption: New Jersey adoption lawyers at our law firm help families navigate the adoption process, whether they are looking to adopt or need to place a child up for adoption. Heterosexual and homosexual couples are both represented by our firm. Our areas of focus include private adoption, kinship adoption, and the adoption of a spouse’s children.
- Alimony: If one spouse contributed a significant amount of money to support their partner during the marriage, he or she may be entitled to compensation in the form of spousal support or alimony. Another reason a judge may award alimony is if one spouse is out of work. These types of alimony payments are usually temporary. There are also certain tax breaks associated with alimony payment.
- Child Custody: Child custody concerns can be fraught with emotion and conflict. The New Jersey court system will always strive for an outcome that is in the best interests of the children. Divorcing parents in New Jersey have the option of pursuing joint legal and physical custody, allowing for co-parenting. If the court believes that one parent is a danger to the children, it will award sole custody to the other parent. Our attorneys also help clients in parenting time disputes.
- Child Support: Each party in a divorce is expected to contribute to his or her children’s living expenses after the divorce. Often for one parent this is achieved by means of child support payments. In New Jersey, payments are made on a weekly or monthly basis and must continue until the child is emancipated or a judge ends the order. The amount of child support to be paid is calculated using a predetermined formula based on income and number of children.
- Divorce: Every divorce has its own unique complexities as couples make important decisions for their future apart. New Jersey divorce lawyers at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein can help couples successfully navigate all types of divorce. We help our clients come to agreements on alimony, custody, and more; and we understand the complications and special rules associated with high asset cases as well as military divorce and same-sex marriage. Additionally, we have extensive experience in divorces involving special needs children.
- Divorce Mediation: In some cases, couples may opt to have their divorce settled by a mediator rather than going through the family court system. Couples should choose a skilled New Jersey divorce mediator who is well-versed in the state’s divorce laws. The mediator will help the divorcing couple come to a mutually-agreed upon divorce settlement.
- Domestic Violence: Our team represents individuals who are dealing with issues of domestic violence in New Jersey. With our sensitivity to these challenging situations, we can provide the compassionate service you and your family needs.
- Equitable Distribution: In a divorce, the courts must determine how property and other assets will be divided, as well as how any debts will be divided. The judge will try to come to a decision of equitable distribution. When determining what each spouse should receive or pay, the judge will take into account a variety of factors including why the marriage ended, the age and earning potential of each spouse, and child custody arrangements. The goal is not to ensure that the distribution of assets is equal, but that it is fair.
- Grandparents’ Rights: If you have a situation involving your children or grandchildren that needs to be resolved, you may need to speak to a family law lawyer. Keep in mind, it is always in the best interest of the child for parents and grandparents to resolve such a conflict privately. However, if the conflict is unable to be resolved, there may be no other alternative than to take the matter to court.
- Special Needs Children: Parents who are undergoing marital discord are wise to immediately engage professional assistance, and structure a plan to share the responsibilities of caring for special needs children.
- Trusts: By placing monies or property in trust, an individual is ensuring that the assets will be distributed according to his or her wishes. The grantor can decided not only who will receive the property, but also when it will be distributed. All types of items can be passed down to an heir or other beneficiaries through trusts. Assets that are held in trust are often tax exempt.
- Prenuptial Agreements: With more than 50% of marriages ending in divorce, many American couples are choosing to have prenuptial agreements drafted before signing their marriage contacts. A prenup acts as an insurance policy in the case of a future divorce. When couples create a prenuptial agreement in New Jersey, they no longer have to worry about how property and debt will be divided if the marriage ends because guidelines and agreements are already in place in writing.
- Postnuptial Agreements: Married couples without a prenuptial agreement can still sign a legally binding contract that will protect each party in the case of a divorce. New Jersey postnuptial agreements are created after the couple is married and offer the same type of “insurance” as a prenup. In some cases, couples who are struggling with their marriage find reconciliation after working through a postnup agreement.
- Probate: After a death, the Last Will and Testament of the decedent is used as a guide in resolving the decedent’s estate. This legal process is known as probate, and it allows courts and attorneys the rights to distribute assets as well as settle any outstanding debt. For grieving loved ones, navigating the probate process alone can be daunting. Probate attorneys can help with the process and give family members the time and peace of mind to grieve.
Cherry Hill Divorce Lawyer Provides a Wide Range of Family Law Services in New Jersey
When family law issues arise, representation by an experienced New Jersey family lawyer at the Law Offices of Richard C. Klein can provide peace of mind and alleviate the fears that often accompany contentious issues. We offer compassionate and knowledgeable guidance to families throughout the entire state of New Jersey, including Cherry Hill, Maple Shade, Marlton, Moorestown, and Mount Laurel. To schedule a consultation with one of our New Jersey divorce lawyers, call 856-988-5470 or contact us online.